Today I want to share my two favorite mason jar soup recipes with you:
Texas Two-Step, and Loaded Baked Potato!
The Texas Two-Step base is wonderful because you can seriously do anything with it. Some days I don’t add meat, and use beans and tomatoes to create a tasty vegetarian dish. Sometimes I add corn and ground beef for a yummy southern flair, and other times I mix in some shredded rotisserie chicken!
You can really add whatever your family loves.
- 1¼ C. Uncooked Pasta (I like Penne)
- 10 - 12 Crushed Tortilla Chips
- 1 tsp. Dried Minced Onion
- 1 Package Brown Gravy
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp. Garlic Salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- Pour gravy into the bottom of your jar.
- Mix together all of the spices and pour over the gravy.
- Add layers of crushed tortilla chips and pasta to fill up the jar.
- Seal your jar with a lid, and add a tag with the following instructions: "Brown ½ lb. ground beef in a large pan. Add jar mix and 7 cups of water; heat to boiling. Stir in 1 can of corn with green and red bell pepper, and 1 can of chopped tomatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sir occasionally. Serve with crushed tortillas, shredded cheddar, and sour cream."
A “secret” family recipe since I can remember has been Loaded Baked Potato soup. My aunt used to make it all the time for our huge get-togethers. But, it’s not the easiest/most convenient recipe to make all the time. That’s why I usually end up making my mason jar version for weeknight dinners. Literally all you have to do is add water and heat! (It’s great for lunch, too).
- 2 C. Instant Potato Flakes
- 1¾ C. Powdered Milk
- ½ tsp. Seasoned Salt
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Beef Bouillon
- 2 Tbsp. Bacon Bits
- 2 tsp. Dried Chives
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- Mix all of your ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour soup mixture into a wide-mouth quart-size jar.
- Seal with a lid, and add a label with the following instructions: "Add ½ C. soup mix to 1 C. hot water. Simmer on low for 5 minutes, until heated through. Top with your favorite loaded baked potato toppings and enjoy!"
These soups are also wonderful to give as holiday gifts. That time of year when you’re expected to give so much to so many, these can be a great, practical (and affordable) present idea!
linking to these parties