This is part of the Family Dinner Night series … check out all of the recipes here.
Easy meals are my specialty. I love anything that has a working time of 30 minutes or less! Recipes that can be prepped and assembled ahead of time get an extra plus in my book. This ham and cheese casserole recipe has so much going for it: it’s easy to make, delicious, family friendly, and it doesn’t require you to make sides!
Before my husband and I got married, my mom and aunts threw me a bridal shower. It was kitchen-themed, and each guest was asked to bring a favorite recipe of theirs to help me build a cookbook full of yummy dishes. This is one of those recipes…with a few tweaks to make it work as a one-dish meal.
- 1 C. Frozen Peas
- 2 C. Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 1/4 C. Half & Half
- 1/4 C. Butter, Melted
- 8 oz. Mini Shell Pasta
- 1/4 C. Chopped Onion
- 1/4 C. All-Purpose Flour
- 3 C. Diced Cooked Ham
- 1 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 C. Parmesan Cheese (grated or shredded)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions (minus a minute or so); drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a pan over medium-high heat, and saute the onions until soft.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in chicken broth and half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheddar, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Stir until cheese melts.
- Reduce heat, and simmer – uncovered – 10 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni, ham, and peas.
- Spoon into a greased casserole pan.
- Cover with Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (until bubbly).
Maybe you grew up thinking casseroles were boring. But I’m here to tell you that casseroles are the bomb – especially for whoever has to make family dinner! It’s just a matter of switching it up a little: making them fun, adding your own twist, and creating something tasty!
linking to these parties