This past week was my husband’s birthday. Nowadays we don’t do much for birthdays what with work and grownup responsibilities. But … I do try my hardest to make the day special without spending much money. Usually I do this with his favorite meals (and having the boys make cute cards). I opted to do chicken and waffles for dinner *yum* and his number one dessert: cream cheese dirt pudding!
If you’re anything like me, this title will confuse you. I’ll never forget the first holiday I spent with my husband’s family. It was Christmastime. After dinner, this vanilla looking dessert was brought out to much fanfare. I was so confused! Everyone was using the term “Dirt Pudding” to describe it. But what I know of dirt pudding is a chocolate pudding with Oreo cookies and worms in it.
Eventually, the family convinced me to try this unusual cream cheese dirt pudding. And boy am I glad they did! I love this stuff almost as much as my husband does now! It’s rich and creamy with a hint of crunchy chocolate. This dessert is perfect for pretty much any occasion you can think of: birthdays, holidays, first day of school, last day of school, scoring a great deal at Target, etc. I’m planning on making it for Easter dessert this year!
If you’re looking for a new treat that the whole family is sure to love, don’t pass this one up!
Cream Cheese Dirt Pudding Recipe
- 2/3 Package Oreo Cookies (crushed)
- 1/4 Cup Butter (melted)
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 C. Confectioner’s Sugar
- 3 Cups Milk
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- 2 3.4oz Packages Instant French Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Pour melted butter over crushed cookies and set aside.
- Mix the cream cheese in a large bowl until it’s soft and smooth.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, milk, cool whip, and pudding mix into the cream cheese bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Add alternating layers of cookie crumbs and pudding mix in a large bowl.