If you love chocolate as much as I do – this is sure to be a treat you’ll want to have every night during the holiday season! This decadent recipe is full of sugar and spice and everything nice (aka you’re favorite liquor). But, if alcohol isn’t your thing, leave it out for an equally delicious hot chocolate recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
- 2 C. 2% or Whole Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Light Brown Sugar
- Small Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 C. Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 C. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- Your favorite Liquor
- Stir the milk, sugar, and cayenne pepper into a small saucepan; bring to a simmer until the brown sugar is melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in your chocolate chips, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Leave to steep for 3 minutes.
- Reheat the chocolate mixture over medium-low heat until simmering.
- Pour the chocolate into mugs, add your favorite liquor, and enjoy!
A few notes:
– I’m not a snob about many things – but chocolate isn’t something to skimp on! With this recipe, I definitely recommend using Ghirardelli chips.
– 2% milk is what I prefer to use in this recipe, but if you want a really over-the-top, decadent drink – use whole milk.
– I found the cayenne pepper to add a nice bit of spice to this drink … but if you’re sensitive to heat, just omit it from the recipe. You’ll still love it!
– Personally, I’m not a fan of most liquor out there, so I like to put vodka in my spiced chocolate; it’s also good with cognac, rum, grand marnier, etc. Whatever you like will probably be tasty!
So, when you’re feeling overwhelmed with this holiday season, take some time out to relax and enjoy a nightcap with your loved ones!