I am giddy over this simple project. It’s really beautiful – but the random stars add a touch of fun.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own falling stars advent calendar:
Paper Lunch Bags
Toys and Treats
Twine or Ribbon
Needle & Thread
1. Before starting on your calendar, make sure you have all of your treats in order. I purchased all of mine at the dollar store – they have a great selection of small toys.
2. Choose the item you want to start with first, and place it on top of a paper bag. Draw a star on the bag large enough to hold the gift. I’d recommend using a pencil for this step! Cut the star out so you have a front and a back piece. Using a white sharpie, number your stars from 1 – 12.
3. Using a sewing machine, stitch approximately 1/4″ – 1/2″ in from the edge of your star. About half way through sewing, place the toy in between your two pieces. Continue stitching until the star is completely closed.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all 12 stars are done. Punch a hole at the top of each star.
5. Hang your calendar up for a fun decoration! I put a horizontal piece of twine up first, and then hung the stars at random down from there. If you’d like to add some extra holiday cheer, tie some ornaments up with your calendar!
The great part about this project – other than the fact that it’s so affordable – is that it can be used for so many things other than an advent calendar. Use paper stars to hold your New Years party favors, hang the stars above your baby’s crib as a mobile, or even just use them as an everyday decoration: the possibilities are really endless!
This is Day 3 of our 12 Days of Christmas Decorations series … check out all of the posts here.
linking to these parties